Easy anonymous file sharing using I2P technology
MuWire is a file sharing program inspired by LimeWire but completely anonymous. It uses I2P for all communication thus keeping your IP address private. You can share, search and download files of any type without relying on a centralized tracker like BitTorrent. Unlike other file sharing applications MuWire has a built-in trust model which allows you to create a group of trusted friends with whom to exchange files securely.
MuWire is completely free and open source. There are no bundled ads or offers of any kind, and it does not solicit donations.
You can install MuWire as a standalone application or as a router plugin.
Download MuWire-0.6.7. Unzip the file and launch the
bin/MuWire script on Linux, or the
bin\MuWire.bat script on Windows. You need to have Java 11 installed for this to work.
Also available is a single-jar edition, which is a smaller download. Use this if you are familiar with java and pack200: MuWire-0.6.7.jar.pack.bz2
- Go to the plugin install page in your router console, that is usually http://127.0.0.1:7657/configplugins#plugininstall
- Paste this URL
- Click install plugin.
- Once installed, click on MuWire in the router console sidebar.
Your I2P router must be running with Java 11 for this to work. The plugin is under active development and does not yet have all the features of the standalone version.
The first time you run MuWire it will ask you to choose a nickname. That nickname is combined with a cryptographically strong I2P address and forms your unique identity on MuWire. My MuWire identity is
Frequently Asked Questions
My search is not returning enough results
- Search is based on keywords or file hash
- All keywords have to match for a result to be returned
- If you already have the file any results for it are not displayed by default. This can be changed in the GUI options
- You can also use phrases when searching. For more info, see search phrases
What is this right-click and “Copy hash to clipboard”
- If you have a specific file you wish to share or download you can use the hash as an unique identifier to make sure you are downloading the right file
- You can share this hash with others to ensure they are getting the right file
How do file comments work
You can add comments about your shared files from MuWire or using sidecar files. Then, when someone searches for a keyword that is present in any of the comments, they will see a search result and will be able to read the comment, as well as download the file.
What are file certificates
You can issue a certificate for a file you have to prove that you’re the one sharing it. For more information see file certificates
How does chat work
You can chat with other MuWire users anonymously. MuWire chat is very similar to IRC. For more information see MuWire Chat.
What is Trust and how does it work
- In MuWire you can choose to trust or distrust other MuWire users. When you trust someone search results from them are marked as TRUSTED so you know they shared the file in question. If you mark someone as DISTRUSTED you will no longer see any search results from them and they will not be able to connect to you.
- In the MuWire options you can choose to allow only trusted connections. If you enable that option your MuWire node will only connect to the nodes of users that you have marked TRUSTED. Keep in mind that you haven’t marked anyone as TRUSTED you will not be able to connect to anyone!
- Be careful who you trust in an anonymous network! It is recommended to first download a file from someone and verify the file is genuine before trusting them.